- Admiration List – People I admire and the reasons why. In many cases, these are also people who I would like to meet and/or see give a talk/speech/live performance/etc. Update: When I started making these posts, I tried to explain why I’d like to meet the individual in question, but that started to feel awkward and…frankly…I’m not actually trying to meet any of these people, so it’s a moot point. I’ve since changed my approach and started focusing on simply explaining why I find this person admirable.
- Authors Quoted – A complete alphabetical list of every person quoted on this blog. Since this blog contains quotes from a wide variety of mediums, this list also includes the names of illustrators, musicians, song writers and public figures.
- Book Reviews and Reviews– When the commentary on a text covers the book as a whole, it becomes a book review. I try to include links to reviews on all subsequent postings of quotes from the book.
- Bragging Rights – Short postings announcing my own achievements, such as: MOOCs completed, certifications received, awards won, etc. It can be (quite literally) anything, as long as I am proud to have achieved that goal.
- Giggle Book Awards – Review of children’s books that are particularly popular with the children in my life.
- Commentary – Commentaries are brief musings that are usually (but not always) either based on, or enhanced by, a collection of quotes.
- Costumes – The costuming commentary is just my own musings about costumes used for different holidays and what, exactly, makes a costume work. More specifically, I ask the question: what is it that makes people think ‘that is a fairy or witch or ghost or…?’ Many years ago I was very passionate about all things theater with a heavy emphasis on stage management, costuming and acting. This is just a fun way to play with costuming again. The images come from an affiliate program. If you click on an image it will launch a new page with an option to buy the featured costume.
- Genealogy – My family tree.
- Memories – Biographical writing.
- Opinion – Opinions are (of course) my own and generally come from a combination of experience and research. These tend to be both lengthy and infrequent.
- Photos – Photos from my many decades of traveling, along with short commentary about the area pictured and general musings about the experience.
- Quotes – Sometimes a series of quotes (on a single topic) are combined into a single post, but most are posted one at a time and they tend to be very short.
- Research Resources – Links, commentary, images, etc. of things that I want to be able to locate and use for research purposes. These tend to be websites, books and similar medium presenting extensive research completed by another person or organization. These postings fall under the topical category covered by the research being referenced.
- Watch This – Podcasts, Vlogs, TV Shows, Movies and similar medium presenting valuable information worthy of further examination. The objective is to make it easy for me to find sources that I would like to use repeatedly (similar to the Research Resources category). These postings fall under the topical category covered by the material. Reviews of resources provided in these mediums are posted on Saturday and presented in an entirely different format.
This blog contains postings expressing my personal opinions on any given topic, as well as quotes from things I have read (everything from children’s stories to news articles). I do a lot of reading on my breaks and during the commute between work and home, but my life rarely leaves me with enough time to write good blog postings on a solid schedule. Therefore, the majority of my postings consist of quotes from, or commentary on, the things I read. My community (and life) is also blessed with children who love to listen to stories – and, at times, I am privileged to be the reader. So I pull interesting quotes from those books as well.
Here is the rough schedule of topics for all postings:
- Monday – Technology, Admiration List, computers, business, entrepreneurship, marketing, economics, career advice, Bragging Rights and workplace issues.
- Tuesday – Quotes from children’s books (Illustrated board books through tween novels).
- Wednesday – Education, Onomastics (the study of names), human rights, biography, slavery, racism, and feminism.
- Thursday – Quotes from works of fiction (young adult and adult).
- Friday – Science, outdoors, wildlife, environment, conservation, geography, cartography, gardening, and farming.
- Saturday – Travel, costumes, board games, entertainment, food, crafts, sports, health, music, theater, writing, and fitness.
- Sunday – Poverty, inspirational, Wild Raccoon Market, Wild Raccoon Press, Art, Politics/political quotes (particularly the historic quotes from presidents and politicians) other misc. topics.
Accidental Postings: Every once in a while I will make a mistake while writing, editing, and scheduling blog posts. If a post is supposed to be published on a Wednesday, but get’s published on the day…at the very moment…that I happen to be working on my blog, then I just leave it where it is. The categories will still include “Wednesday,” but the date will be whenever it happened to slip through.
Schedule Changes: Costuming was originally posted on Sundays. I have moved these to Saturdays because they are more appropriate to entertainment than misc. However, the original Sunday costuming posts remain under the original (Sunday) categories.The political quotes have been moved from Mondays to Sundays to retains the Monday focus on career-related topics.
Days, Months and Weeks
The following calendar of official commemorative days, weeks and months will be used to organize quotes – when the opportunity arises. While I do not intend to put an enormous amount of effort into finding quotes suited to specific holidays, celebrations or times of remembrance; I am keeping this calendar for easy reference so that I can place appropriate quotes into relevant timelines, when I happen across them. Please note – I have selected commemorative calendar items based on those topics I am most likely to utilize as I stumble across appropriate or relevant quotes. This in no way diminishes the importance of those items not included, it merely illustrates the relative limitations in a single woman’s ability to read the kinds of volumes of materials necessary to truly cover all possible topics in an entirely haphazard manner…no matter how much she would love to be able to accomplish that much reading (really, truly, I WOULD!…I’m weird like that). Also, this list can be expected to change over time – I will add things as I find them and remove things that rarely (or never) get mentioned. Also, I add the links to the tags when I schedule a post – if clicking on the link brings up a blank page, rest assured, a post will appear at some point in the future.
National Mentoring Month
Stalking Awareness Month
Slavery and Human Trafficking Prevention Month
National Hug Day – January 21
International Day of Commemoration in Memory of the Victims of the Holocaust- January 27
Martyr’s Day (Mahatma Gandhi’s Martyrdom Day) – January 30
Street Children’s Day – January 31
Black History Month (United States and Canada)
LGBT History Month (United Kingdom)
International Day of Zero Tolerance to Female Genital Mutilation – February 6
Darwin Day – February 12
Hug Day – February 13
International Mother Language Day – February 21
Thinking Day – February 22
National Science Day (India) – February 28
Rare Disease Day – February 28
Women’s History Month
National Day of Unplugging
International Women’s Day – March 8
Pi Day – March 14
World Consumer Rights Day – March 15
World Sparrow Day – March 20
International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination – March 21
World Poetry Day – March 21
World Water Day – March 22
Confederate History Month (Southern United States)
Financial Literacy Month
Jazz Appreciation Month
National Dance Month (or Week)
National Child Abuse Prevention Month
National Poetry Month
Sexual Assault Awareness Month
Take Your Daughters and Sons To Work Day
World Health Day – April 7
International Romani Day – April 8
International Day of Human Space Flight – April 12
Day of Silence – April 15
Day of Dialogue – April 15
Earth Day – April 22
World Book Day – April 23
World Intellectual Property Day – April 26
International Jazz Day – April 30
Asian Pacific American Heritage Month
Mental Health Awareness Month
Haitian Heritage Month
Jewish American Heritage Month
National Bike Month
National Mobility Awareness Month
National Pet Month
Older Americans Month
South Asian Heritage Month
Zombie Awareness Month
World Laughter Day – First Sunday of May every year
International Workers’ Day – May 1
Day of Prayer – May 3
World Press Freedom Day – May 3
Remembrance of the Dead – May 4
Star Wars Day – May 4
International Midwives’ Day – May 5
International No Diet Day – May 6
Military Spouse Appreciation Day – May 11
International Nurses Day – May 12
International Day of Families – May 15
International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia – May 17
World Information Society Day – May 17
International Day for Biological Diversity – May 22
World Turtle Day – May 23
International Missing Children’s Day – May 25
Towel Day – May 25
Geek Pride Day – May 25
Caribbean American Heritage Month
LGBT Pride Month (United States)
National Safety Month
International Children’s Day – June 1
Cancer Survivors Day – June 4
World Environment Day – June 5
World Oceans Day – June 8
World Blood Donor Day – June 14
Juneteenth – June 19 (Celebrated on June 19th and/or 3rd Saturday of the month)
World Refugee Day – June 20
World Hydrography Day – June 21
International Yoga Day – June 21
National Ice Cream Month
Independence Day (United States) – July 4
World UFO Day – July 2
World Population Day – July 11
Pi Approximation Day – July 22
National Day of the Cowboy
International Tiger Day – July 29
Malala Day-12 July
Friendship Day – First Sunday of August
International Youth Day – August 12
International Lefthanders Day – August 13
World Mosquito Day – August 20
European Day of Remembrance for Victims of Stalinism and Nazism – August 23
International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and its Abolition – August 23
Women’s Equality Day – August 26
National Sports Day – August 29
National Guide Dog Month
National Hispanic Heritage Month (U.S.; September 15 to October 15)
National Honey Month
National Preparedness Month (U.S.)
National Wilderness Month
Patriot Day – September 11
International Day of Democracy – September 15
International Talk Like a Pirate Day – September 19
International Day of Peace – September 21
European Day of Languages – September 26
World Contraception Day – September 26
World Rabies Day – September 28
World Tourism Day – September 27
International Coffee Day – September 29
Filipino American History Month
LGBT History Month (United States)
Black History Month (United Kingdom)
Bullying Prevention Month
National Dental Hygiene Month
National Disability Employment Awareness Month
National Italian American Heritage Month
National Domestic Violence Awareness Month
National Work and Family Month
Polish American Heritage Month
World Habitat Day – First Monday of October
World Vegetarian Day – October 1
International Day of Non-Violence – October 2
German Unity Day – October 3
World Animal Day – October 4
German-American Day – October 6
World Mental Health Day – October 10
World Standards Day – October 14 
Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day – October 15
Global Handwashing Day – October 15
World Food Day – October 16
International Day for the Eradication of Poverty– October 17
National Cat Day (USA) – October 29
Native American Heritage Month
International Mentoring Walks Day
United States Elections – Vote
World Vegan Day – November 1
Bonfire Night (also Guy Fawkes Night) – November 5
International Men’s Day – November 19
World Toilet Day – November 19
Universal Children’s Day – November 20
Transgender Day of Remembrance – November 20
World Television Day – November 21
International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women – November 25
Cities for Life Day – November 30
Self-injury Awareness Day – November 30
World AIDS Day – December 1
United Nations’ International Day of Persons with Disabilities – December 3
International Volunteer Day – December 5
Day of the Ninja – December 5
Human Rights Day – December 10